Teeth grinding or Bruxism is a common problem in both Adults and children. Usually it is a sign of tension but it can be because the teeth are not aligned properly. It is aggravated by stress.
In children it can occur during the daytime, but more commonly occurs in both adults and children during sleep.
Some things you can try
- Try to relax before bed. Listen to soft music, practise meditation etc
- Slowly munch on something like an apple to loosen the muscles of the jaw
- Take a warm bath before bed
- Use a hot towel applied to the sides of the face. This will relax the muscles of the jaw
- If you grind during the day, be aware and try to stop grinding
- You should visit the dentist who may fit a plastic device to protect the teeth at night
- The doctor may prescribe some medication for relaxation although this is best avoided